Sunday, February 13, 2011

Marcberg: An Endorsement

Roc Marciano supports national high speed rail initiatives and keeping it real as shit.















The last time I touched down in NYC I was banging Blue Eyes Meets Bed-Stuy, but the next time I roll through, Roc Marciano's Marcberg will be my touch-down album of choice.  Marcberg is an LP for those, yours truly included, who have a strong penchant for early nineties New York hip-hop.  It's beats are raw and relatively simple, and they're complemented by Marciano's polished flow and inventive lyrics.
If I had to refer to another album as a reference point, I'd probably compare it to Mobb Deep's seminal work, The Infamous.  Marc's got surreal dexterity on the mic, and Mobb Deep-like crusty, raw beats and lyrical themes that augment the authenticity of his bellicose threats and rhymes.  I'll include some of what I consider to be the highlights of the album below, but I highly recommend copping it.  It's one of those those tragic masterpieces that will pass under mainstream rap's nose relatively unnoticed.  As it would seem, the Grammy Foundation would encourage us to listen to more of Drake's tepid babbling, and ponder the profound, byzantine intricacies of Eminem and Rhianna's "Love The Way You Lie."  Such creative, groundbreaking music is clearly worthy of commendation and lavish ceremonies.  Yet I have an inkling that Roc could give two shits about the Grammy's, and it gives me a great deal of pleasure to picture him flipping through the channels this evening, enjoying a freshly rolled blunt and idly pausing to smirk as the American music industry showers it's golden boys and girls with complements while troves of talented, inventive artists soldier on in relative obscurity.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home