Thursday, February 3, 2011

Multiple-Eurosis & JOTW

Eurodouche
















In the last four months of my stay in Madrid I have been privy to a fair number of European house-parties, and just about the only thing I find offensive is their ridiculously shitty music.  Be forewarned, I am a notoriously fastidious hater when it comes to putting up with music I don't like, but in the last few years I have built up certain tolerance, and I can normally hold out until my blood alcohol level induces musical apathy.  Nevertheless, when the only thing played is David Guetta and Tiesto mixes I rapidly get fed-the-fuck-up.  At a fiesta last weekend, the other partygoers encouraged me to put on some "pahty mewsic" that I enjoy, and since I was the only American in the house I decided to go with strictly perennial classics: "Party Up"-D.M.X., "Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None)"-Snoop Dogg featuring Krupt and Nate Dogg and "Don't Stop "Til You Get Enough"- Michael Jackson.  If you put one of these cuts on at an American party and someone complains then he/she is an asshole.
When I put them on in Europe I become the asshole.   Not a single person seemed to be enjoying themselves, and most people that saw me change the song gave me a disagreeable quizzical look.  It was as though I had walked into the party with a bulging-bag of McDonalds, a 30-bomb of Natty-light, a hefty chunk of chewing tobacco in my lower lip and a double-barrel shotgun.  After the third try, which I thought would prevail due to the number's auspiciousness and the fact that Michael Jackson is one of the most popular artists in the world, I gave up.  Everyone in the party, Euros from the Ukraine all the way to Spain, just didn't dig any of the jams I was kickin'.  Truth be told, this has happened to me various times, and although I continue my quest to play at least one hot tune at a party, I maintain a zero percent success rate.  I will continue to carry the flag, and do my best to reach these poor motherfuckers who've sold their party-time souls to house music's repetitive and mind-numbing tediousness.  I'd just like to reiterate that I had a great time otherwise at the fiesta, and I got along well with everyone I talked to.  Being the only American at a party is a difficult yet rewarding experience; you can find yourself alienated at times by language or cultural barriers, but people tend to take interest in you, and it's hard not to have fun.

On to the JAM.
The Game's recently released Purp & Patron Mixtape could, In my humble opinion, easily be whittled down into an excellent formal release.  It features Lil Boosie, Ricardo Rozay, Pharell, Snoop, Dr. Dre, and many more mainstream staples.  My preferred track is "In My 64" featuring Pharell and Snoop Dogg.  The steel drum beat, chant-ready chorus and winning So-Cal combo of Game and Snoop makes it one of the most poppy, yet enjoyable, cuts on the tape.  For me it's reminiscent of Lord Willin' era Clipse: something like a less lively version of "When The Last Time." Hopefully Game's soon to be released album R.E.D. brings some or most of Purp & Patron's heat.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Angry bag...

February 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Jam said...

mildly frustrated may be a better way to put it.

February 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home