Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Nappy's 5 Albums of 2010


This was the first thing that popped up on Google Images when I typed in 2010.



These are my favorite albums of the fine year that was 2010, in no particular order so don't get any funny ideas. So take a look and let me know what you think. Agree? Disagree?

Big K.R.I.T.'s – K.R.I.T. Wuz Here

This is probably the best purely hip-hop experience to be released this year. It had all the bases covered; solid verses, distinct flow, versatile subjects and themes, features from veterans and newcomers, and to top it off the dude produced the whole thing himself. The album and KRIT himself is refreshing because he isn't following the current trends typically associated with southern rappers, not that I hate typical southern rappers, it's just a different take. So rather than sticking to club music, drug music, or releasing a bajillion mixtapes and such, KRIT has released a very well rounded and polished album.

Selected Tracks: Return of 4 Eva, Country Shit, Moon and Stars

Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Fantasy

This one took me a while for it grow on me, but our good friend Geezy loved it, and Geezy knows his music so I gave it another chance. And after a couple spins I've changed my tune and I'd have to agree that this is Kanye's masterpiece. Most if not all of these songs are amazing in almost every aspect. You can tell that Kanye is dedicated and meticulous when it comes to creating his music because of how well he crafted this album. Most of the features on the album are on point and fit perfectly in each song. Take Officer Ricky's contributions on the album. He isn't the best lyricist but give him like half a verse on “Monster” and the man sounds like a master poet. Say what you will about Kanye the man, but Kanye the artist is an ever evolving beast that is one of the best in the game right now, and possibly... ever?

Selected Tracks: Monster, Blame Game, Hell of a Life


Phantogram – Eyelid Movies

I found out about them during the summer while perusing one of my favorite blogs (Pot Holes in My Blog if you don't already know whats up). It only took one listen and I was pretty much hooked, especially because I found out about them during the height of my obsession with female lead singers. It's a two person group, one person on the synths while the other one rocks the guitar. I had the chance to see them for free this past summer at the U of O EMU and it had to be one of my favorite musical performances while living in Eugene. They have great chemistry together and it really shows during their live performances. Fun Fact: My friend, we'll call her PM for short, hit on the guitarist hella hard before the showing thinking he was the roadie. Imagine her embarrassment when the “roadie” didn't put down the guitar during the show after he tuned it. Also the lead singer is a total babe.

Selected Tracks: Mouthful of Diamonds, As Far As I can See, When I'm Small

Big Boi – Sir Luscious Leftfoot... the Son of Chico Dusty

If I had to choose my favorite member of OutKast my vote would unquestionably go to Big Boi. I've always enjoyed his cool laid back demeanor and his slick delivery on just about any of his songs. And as one-half of the most critically acclaimed and respected hip-hop duos, Big Boi had a lot of high expectations when he announced his first true solo release. And let me tell you this was not disappointing in the least, well except for maybe the record labels shafting Big Boi and Andre and thus preventing us from enjoying “Royal Flush” on the album. Speaking of “Royal Flush”, when I first heard this song I was extremely impressed and tried to not listen to anymore leaks from this album, especially when it seemed like half the songs were leaked to blogs months before it even came out. And I'm pretty happy I was able to resist temptation for the most part because Big Boi is able to shoulder the load of his own album and rarely misses a step.

Selected Tracks: Hustle Blood, Be Still, Daddy Fat Stax


Beach House – Teen Dream

My summertime soundtrack and the start of my obsession with girl lead singers. Teen dream is a much more polished and complete offering when compared to their previous offerings which are pretty darn good. The haunting and hypnotic vocal stylings of the lead are complimented by the groups versatile use of instruments and vocal background. A very fun album to listen to if you like haunting female vocals reminiscent of Nico Fun fact: my Professor Philip Scher is the uncle of the lead singer.


Selected Tracks: Walk in the Park, Better Times, Silver Soul


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home