Friday, November 12, 2010

RIP Dave Niehaus, 1935-2010.


Seattle's voice of summer: Dave Neihaus, 1935-2010. RIP old friend.

I've never had more bittersweet homecoming than I had last Thursday:
After I had walked into my parents' and said my hellos/gave my hugs, my mom causally said "We saved these for you," and handed me the front page and sports section from that day's Seattle Times.
Because of my mid-term schedule, I hadn't had time to do very much of anything outside the school spectrum, so the front page of the Times reading "Dave Niehaus, 1935-2010 Our Voice of Summer" was devastating. And he truly was, among a multitude of other things, the voice of puget sound summers.
It's a surreal notion to try to grapple with; that the man who was a Mariner before any player even donned an M's uni, who was an embodiment of the franchise itself, died suddenly from a heart attack in his Bellevue home Wednesday night.
On Friday, I stopped by Safeco Field and signed my thanks and name on a poster for Mr. Neihaus outside of home plate, but I still can't fully grasp the idea that I won't hear him on 710am as I drive around the streets of Seattle.
Thank you for everything Mr. Neihaus, you will be missed; into the crisp autumn night goes the voice of summer.
Fly Fly Away.


A Mariner's fan says good bye to Dave Niehaus at his home plate memorial

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home