Sunday, November 7, 2010

JOTW

Tracy Chapman, a jacked, black lesbian with a voice much more masculine than my own, holds a special place in my musical library.  I have fond memories of car trips with my parents when I was a youngster, and of many a drunken sing-along in my more recent past, in which T-Chap's tunes played an essential part.  "Smoke and Ashes" is one of her forgotten classics.  Soulful as shit, slow, primed with a chorus as apt for clamorous drunken accompaniment as "Talkin' Bout a Revolution" and "Gimme One Reason,"  and a finale nearly as repetitive and powerful as "Kissed by a Rose," (which will forever reign supreme in my personal pantheon of drinkin' cutz) this week's jam may emerge as a serious contender for the latter quarter of your party playlist.   I have no idea why the person who uploaded this song to Youtube chose a slideshow of baby donkeys, but I dig it.


"I said there's fire down below, I said it's only smoke and ashes baby"

P.S.- A cordial welcome aboard to Ndo, that picture of New Edition rocking Pony's is one of the hardest I have seen in some time.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger LaGreezy said...

this song is reminiscent of pushing the buick to san fran over the summer.
good choice mahady.
though, the baby donkeys do freak me out a little.

November 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Nappy said...

I'm excited to join the crew. Hopefully this will motivate "geezy" to post more. and man, i can't believe that jeff weiss commented on your post

November 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home