Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cinnamon Girl - Prince versus Neil

Prince Rogers Nelson and Neil Young may very well represent polar aspects of my musical portfolio: a skinny, omnisexual, half-black, falsetto crooner with an appetite for dance and fornication, and a neanderthal like Canadian with a penchant for flannel and farm life. At different moments in time, I have considered one or the other to be my favorite artist, and they are forever present in my top 5, a fluctuating mixture of stalwart classics and musical infatuations. I would have to credit the eclectic musical taste of my parents for this baffling combination, as I was heavily exposed to both artists throughout my youth.

Now to the Jams at Hand. The other day as I was making a pass through my iTunes, I was struck by a desire to listen to "Cinnamon Girl" by Neil. As the search completed, I was reminded of the super dope song by Prince, off of Musicology, of the same name, which according to Wikipedia has nothing to do with Neil's version. Nonetheless, I have decided to pit the two against each other. The preference is decided by each listener on a personal basis; I am making no attempt to endorse one in particular at this juncture. Prince hits you with a dance hall ready, politically conscious jam, and, true to form, provides a catchy chorus to further encourage the boogie. Neil's jam is chock full of heavy guitar and a likewise catchy, simple chorus.

Prince

VS

Neil

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home