Thursday, October 21, 2010

A still.grimey endorsement: Danny Brown

I have been meaning to post something about Danny Brown for quite a while now.  He is, in my opinion, the most creative and versatile of the latest crop of talented emcees that have gained the necessary notoriety to make it to my headphones (Curren$y, Big K.R.I.T., Freddie Gibbs, etc.). Danny Brown came to my attention via the omniscient Jeff Weiss's blog, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

In my opinion, the most striking thing about Brown is his capacity to base an entire song on a theme that doesn't include cars, women or money.  On his most recent release, The Hybrid, he dedicates an entire track to food stamps ("Thank God") and another to his views on prescription pills ("Generation Rx").  He has an affinity for Adderall, and attributes much of the writing from The Hybrid to the procrastinatoRx's best friend.  I sincerely hope any and all who read this post give Danny Brown a chance.  Passion of the Weiss, who shares a similar respect for his work, provides an interview and several downloads that may very well whet your appetite for more.  You should also check out Brown's Blog for an inside look at this eclectic genius.

Here's Danny Brown's "Shootin' Moves" from The Hybrid
 
"Sittin' in the old school, smokin' on some Goku.  Buds like Dragonballs, tequila with the lime juice."

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

Thanks for the shout out. Glad to see that Brown's picking up new fans. He's a beast.

November 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger LaGreezy said...

Mr. Weiss,

How you found out that this piece of cyber space even exists is beyond me.
Even though I didn't write this piece, I wanted to thank you for taking your time to holler at us, JAM in particular.

November 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM  
Blogger Nappy said...

this is so legit. who would have thought that jeff weiss would ever comment on your blog

November 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger LaGreezy said...

*our blog.

November 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home