Saturday, December 19, 2009

Number 9: MSTRKRFT--Fist of God

The ninth best album of two thousand nine is:
MSTRKRFT- Fist of God
It’s probably no coincidence that how I feel about MSTRKRFT’s Fist of God is the same way I feel about taking a thizz pill, and I rarely, if ever, elect to do either. Not because I don’t like their music or am some kind of square. Quite the contrary, I really do like MSTRKRFT, I just am more of a hip-hop head with a major affinity for Neil Young, so you can see why grimey electronic music might not make it into my daily rotation. And with regards to rolling, I just don’t really have the luxury of being able to take two days to recover from one night of partying.However, when I do decide to do either one of these, I know a few things for certain:


-I’m going to be dancing.
- It’s going to be dirty.
- It’s going to be a fucking blast.
To the hip-hop heads that are reading this right now: I know you think this kind of music is whack. Believe me, it took a while for your boy to realize that there is good music in the “Techno” genre, but you gotta realize that there is life beyond choking blunts and listening to old Mobb Deep records. And to make your transition easier, MSTRKRFT has even included tracks featuring the likes of E-40, Ghostface, and Freeway.I will leave you with the following challenge: Get your hands on a copy of Fist of God, give it a listen (with or without the E, it’s your call), and try to sit still throughout the course of the album.
Couldn’t do it? Didn’t think so. It’s this album’s ability to get people up dancing and enjoying themselves that got it into the top 9 of the year. Now on to the next one…

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jam said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 19, 2009 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger Jam said...

I'm trying to like this, but I can't. I didn't want to dance; I wanted to turn it off. There is something about the monotony of Techno that annoys me even if Ghostface is on the cut. Maybe it's all of the memories of the Euros getting their dance on to shit like this in Spain while I looked on in disbelief at how much they were enjoying it. I am picky as shit about my music, and I fucking hate country music even when I'm drunk. If however, I were intoxicated, I think I could get my dance on to this, and maybe even enjoy it. I would be lying if I wasn't out there on the dance floors while those greasy Euros bumped Infinity 2008, but I can swear to you that I never did it sober. Good album for drunken partying? Maybe, but I wouldn't put it in my top nine for sober listening.

December 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home