Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Number 7: Cam'ron--Crime Pays

The seventh best album of 2009 is
Cam'ron- Crime Pays

Even though Cameron Giles a/k/a Killa Cam b/k/a Cam'ron broke my heart when he declared that Dipset is dead and that I(and all their other fans) need to get over it, I had to put his most recent album in my list for years best.




Let's be honest here, who doesn't fuck with the artists formally known as Dipset? And although there is clearly undeniable talent in the clique, I think it's fair to assume we never really took the boys from Harlem that seriously. Refreshingly, however, based on his appearances on It's the Real (peep it if you never have, you'll be on the floor laughing), as well as possessing a genuine sense of humor, I think it's safe to assume the purple mink rocking, pink Range whipping, self-proclaimed owner of Dipset never took himself that seriously either. In all reality, with the type of shit that has come out of his mouth over the last decade, I can't imagine very many people disagreeing with me.
But back to the album.
Crime Pays, although it is pretty much what you would expect from a post-Dips Cam, is too hard to stop listening to. It stayed in heavy roto on my iPod(RIP) in the second quarter. Despite his consistently chauvinistic subject matter, Crime Pays is the first time we've heard Cam make a track for "the every day working woman," in the first single "I Hate My Job". Of course, in typical Killa fashion, he also has songs that fair on the nasty side of things, but that's why we love him right?
The soundscape of the album is still comprised of the same upbeat triumphant style production that made us fall in love with the boys from uptown to begin with. No Homo. And despite lacking lyrical profundity (surprise, surprise), it's impossible, at least for me, to not absolutely love any album that contains a track titled "Silky (No Homo)."
Here's some tracks to peep:
"Silky (No Homo)"
"Cookin Up"
"Stay the Night"--guilty pleasure of the album.

Bonus: Killa discusses Dipset

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try to get over Dipset.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home