Thursday, March 3, 2011

Compare and Contrast.

In the last 48 hours, which might as well be two weeks in the blogsphere, two videos dropped that got my attention this morning while scouring the internets for that good good: "6'7'" by Dwayne Carter and Peter Gunz' son & "Freethrows" by the Cool Kids. Both songs boast pretty absurd samples, but I love me some Cool Kids (no homo), and Weezy occupies quite a nice size of my iTunes, well. Not to mention that if 6'7' doesn't make you wanna go honey baked ham on a motha fucka, you might wanna check your pulse.
Here's the Wayne x Gunz x Hype Video:


Hit the jump to keep reading.



If you made it this far, I'm assuming you just peeped that video. My thoughts? I fucking hated it. Well, except for the bad bitches...and that bulldog is fucking adorably hilarious (...no homo). Let's take it from the top. The whole Inception theme is whack, like I'd rather have Raekwon bang my shit with a spiked bat like BLAOW! than have to watch that incredibly asinine intro again. Like, real talk? Hype Williams and Lil' Wayne, two of the most innovative cats in their respective crafts, couldn't figure out something better than this? And honestly, I feel like I've seen this video so many times in my life, I can't even explain it. It's like Hype just got on his cookie cutter shit and shot this flick. And I ain't about alladat. Don't get me wrong, fam has a good aesthetic, and he gave us the intro to Belly (if you hadn't seen that, just stop reading my blog. Like right now. Like GET THE FUCK OUT), so no shots fired there, but please give us something new. And like I said earlier, the Inception shit has got to go.

Now check the Cool Kids video directed by Dichfürd Ahlers & Sean Michael Pheanis (yeah I don't know/can't pronounce these cats' names either):

THE COOL KIDS - FREE THROWS from Sean Michael Pheanis on Vimeo.

This thing is dope. Now, I know what is going on between your ears currently: "You like THIS, but not the Weezy video?! Is you blind?" Slow your roll dunny, and let me explain. This shit is hip hop as a mother fucker. Like, dudes is straight up out in the streets banging Timbos, North Face Parkas with the fur, and skullys. It's all shot with a grainy ass camera, or at least edited to look that way. The video is supposed accentuate the song, not out shine it, am I wrong? Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but this is always how I thought hip hop should look growing up. I feel like they accomplished so much more with such a smaller budget.

So maybe this is a message to us all, don't try to hard with your flame and your flash, because keeping it simple and getting it how you live is the best way to go. Or maybe this is just some crunchy ass way to end a blog post. Imma go with the latter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home