Thursday, March 31, 2016

Pleasantly Mundane Thuggery: Musings on Lil Yachty (and others!)

LaGreezy spent four seasons at the four seasons twice
Let's get this out of the way quickly for those of you who ain't know: your mans is a tax accountant by trade. Well, in all reality, I'm a bit of an asshole by trade, but my LinkedIn page says I'm a senior tax associate, and as we all know everything you read on the internet is true. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that, as you probably ascertained, some aspects of my day-to-day professional life contain a fair dosage of mundanity.

Based on previous employment positions I've had, as well as all the times I've stopped listening to my friends complain about something at their job, I'd be willing to bet this is a pretty common plight in the human experience. Everybody tends to have a coping strategy for dealing with the mundane. I typically listen to podcasts or books on tape to slog through the shit end of my workload. Some people smoke weed to deal with it (note: if you do this you are fucking insane- even the idea of doing taxes while stoned gives me so much anxiety that I want to peel my skin off with a cheese grater and hurl my body out of a moving car).

I digress. As of late, there's been a section of my soundcloud page that I keep coming back to. Not to necessarily combat the banality of certain tasks, but to rather compliment it - perhaps even bask in it. So I just said fuck it, I should share this with the homies, and maybe use it as an excuse to make internet again.

[Please hit di jump for the playlist and continued musings:]








Admittedly, this playlist is fairly (and by fairly, I mean extremely) poorly sequenced. If it reeks of something that was hastily cobbled together, it certainly was. And yes, you'll likely need to run it through a few times, particularly those of you who do not fancy yourself Lil Yachty fans, in order to find a real enjoyment in it.

It ain't hard to tell that this playlist is very heavy on the Lil Yachty aka Lil Boat. That's by design. I fucking love ATLs most recent artist to take Fader-twitter by storm. My initial reaction is to say he's somewhere between Makonnen and being Wesley Willis of the trap, but it sort of feels lazy. Yachty's not confined to the atmospheric sing-songy tunes that run rampant here, but that's the portion of his music that I'm currently in love with. While his more uptempo/aggressive tracks tend to fall in the "Migos throw away flow" lane, the records of his that populate this playlist have a compelling effortlessness about them. The lyrics contain all the general thuggery and misogyny that you'd anticipate, but the delivery makes it easy(ier?) to stomach as a soundtrack to your breakfast. I'd also recommend it (and by proxy this playlist) for rainy and/over hung over mornings when you're feeling just keeping it in some sweats in the slums.

So that's my quick and shitty run down on Lil Yachty. Slide through my DMs if you wanna build on the topic further, but in the meantime here's some quick hits on the rest of the #content in the previous playlist:

- "About Me" - KeithCharlesSPACEBAR : Not hard to see how this cut fits in here. If we're being completely honest here, I don't know much about fam other than he's part of the lovely Awful Records #gangganggang, but I will say that this song is like the perfect Lil Yachty tune, so perhaps I should have been less washed, explored his catalogue more thoroughly, and I could have saved you from reading, like, the previous four paragraphs, and maybe even this one! Fuck me, man, I'm the worst.

- "Come down" - WSTRN : Look, this song does not fit on this playlist at all. It's super up beat and poppy, but fuck it's so pleasant. I'm such a sucker for British r&b, fam. Like when he says "my love is for true" it sounds so great, and is so charming. My only qualm with this is literally everywhere you look this fucking song is like 1:45 second long and then it fades out.

- "too deep" - dvsn : this song is perfect. it sounds like the 2016 update to Ginuwine's "So Anxious", while also remaining fresh. I think that's literally the nicest thing I've said about anything in my entire life.

- "Duvet" - Jordan Raf : a wonderfully crooned joint, with a deftly placed Peggy Lee sample and  warm saxophone. I also must admit that virtually anything Jeff Weiss puts name on (Raf is the first artist over at Jeff's POW Recordings) I typically fanboy out to the fullest extent for, so take that for whatever it's worth.

- "Don't Mind" - Kent Jones: this is a track that is also pretty far away from remotely integrating itself into this playlist, but it's fairly mindless and a ton of fun. So idk, skip the fucking thing if you got a problem with it. Or literally make the exact same playlist without it. It's not that hard. Moving on!

- "you" - Kyson: while this song sounds more like a song off of the 2009 Dark Was the Night Compilation than the first song from a new Friends of Friends signee, something about it feels so familiar, and subsequently comfortable.

- "Tats" - Chief Keef: contrary to my standing on Yachty, and how I tend to only prefer one sound of his, I fuck with the totality of the Keef sound. Sure, the guy pumps out a ton of shit records, but every now and then he absolutely crushes one. This is one of those for me. It's certainly in the same vein as his "Citgo" smash, but has built of it's predecessor considerably.

However, while I love all the songs on this playlist, nothing really compares to Kevin Gates singing Blink- 182 (hit the 4:14 mark, but I would implore you to watch the entire thing, it's astounding). So here's that:





Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,