Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Late Pass for the People: Music Reviews

So I'm a couple weeks late on these, at least with regards to a post(because you know my leak game proper), but give your boy a break, I've only had my own blog for like the last 45 minutes. Cop, read, burn one, or don't, and enjoy:


Wale- Attention: Deficit(<---left click for download)


Say what you will about the internet-hip-hop movement and hipster mcs like Wale, and so will I. I like Wale. I loved "Nike Boots" [and it's remix, baby]. He's got good swagger on the mic, he's seemingly intelligent, he's got steeeeeeze, he spits "I just messed up my J's/Which messed up my day," and got damnit that's something I can relate to. What I don't like is that Mr. Never-wear-the-same-thang never switches up his flow. Take a listen to any handful of Wale tracks, the lyrics are different, the beats are quite diverse, especially from mixtape to mixtape. But dude sounds the same at the end of Attention: Deficit as he did at the start of 100 Miles and Running. Not good. With that being said, this album is still FIRE. Everybody has heard the Cool and Dre track "Chillin" featuring (OMG MY FAVORITE!!!) Lady Gaga, and most of my fellow hip hop heads have heard "World Tour", also produced by Cool and Dre, and by all means, those tracks go. However, some cuts you might not have checked out, but definitely should, are as follows:
-"90210" prod. by Mark Ronson
-"Let it Loose" featuring Pharrell and prod. by The Neptunes
-"Contemplate" featuring Rihanna prod. by Syience
Ultimately, Wale is just so easy to relate to it would be hard to not enjoy his music. Download the disc (or cop it on iTunes for the bonus tracks and to support the homie), and listen to it a couple times, then tell me you can't listen/relate to any of the tracks. Didn't think so.

ON TO THE NEXT ONE

Fashawn- Boy Meets World (<---left click for download)
THIS SHIT GOES. If memory serves me correctly, which sometimes it doesn't (shouts to mary jane), this is the best cd/mixtape to come out of the left coast in a New York minute. Maybe it's because Fashawn (a.k.a. Santiago Leyva) is so candid, maybe it's Exile's eastcoast-meets-westcoast production, maybe it's because Fashawn spits fire, maybe it's inexplicable, or perhaps just all of the above. Whatever it is, that makes this album sofa.king good, I'm 110% with it. I have been bumping it at work, on the bus, at the crib, and on campus. If I've got headphones or a y-audio cable, please believe Boy Meets World gets some burn. The album just feels and sounds so proper. It is truly a pleasure getting to know Fashawn over the course of the album, and by the time the final sounds of the last track fade out, I felt like I'd been choppin' blunts and shooting the shit with Santiago my whole life.
Notable Tracks:[I just went and looked at the track listing and realized I wanted to list the majority of cuts.]
My advice to you is be merciless about your pursuit of this album. Get your Malcolm on and get a copy of this by any means necessary. Once said album is in your possession, I'd recommend splitting the swisher and getting to know Fashawn.
He's gonna be around for a minute.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home